Tuesday 10 September 2013

Pycon UK and the new Computing Programme of Study

You, like many ICT teachers may be feeling that your skill set comes up short when looking at the new programme of study for our subject. I know this because this is generally how I feel, usually about everything, but mainly about programming. I always say to people that I meet "I don't really know what I'm doing." You may be suprised to know that I had never written a program in Python until September last year when I attended Pycon UK.

You may not be aware but here in the UK, there is an active support network for ICT teachers from individuals in indusrty. Not because they are paid to, but because they want to help you. Last year I tentativly accepted an invitation to attend a conference about a programming language that I had never used. I've never been so far out of my comfort zone, as when I was sat in a very large conference room with around 300 software developers. "What am I doing here?" I thought. But then something amazing happened, they started to talk to me, and more importantly they listened to me. Within a day I went from attendee to speaker, and left the conference feeling supported.

If you are looking for CPD this year, that isnt just another course, then you cant go wrong with Pycon UK. the really excited part is the price!

Teacher's day tickets are *only* £35 which includes lunch. To book tickets you simply need to visit the booking page and use the promotional code MORTAR_BOARD.

There will also be a Raspberry Jam at PyconUK for young and old alike.  Tickets for which cost £5. To book tickets you simply need to visit the booking page and use the promotional code SCOLARIS_PYTHONIS.
To find out more about what's on offer check out @ntoll's blog post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment